Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bible Study: Session 2

What a blessing this study is. Obviously, I am blessed by spending time in the word and with God, but I am also blessed by the fellowship of the ladies in our study. More than ever I am convinced there is more to it than my private worship and church attendance. I learn so much from those around me.

Doing the homework for week one, I had a light bulb moment that I shared with our group Monday night. There were a series of three questions. The first question had us read the story of Jacob and Rebekah's deceit of Isaac, and describe all they ways they manipulated him. The second had us compare that story with Abner's death in 2 Samuel and why David had peace. The third question - the one that tied it together asked how someone might feel who had tried controlling everything that they shouldn't. I wrote "anxious, suspicious, worrisome, stressed" and a few other words.

It hit me then, that the areas of my life where I experience the most worry and anxiety are the ones I have my fist gripped tightest around. They are the very ones I give to God in pieces...or give and take back when things are not happening by my timeline. Once I feel the anxiety and fear set in, the rest of the situation typically spirals until I am at my wit's end. But once I pray through it and hand it to God, I immediately feel peace.

It is powerful, albeit difficult for someone so independent, to realize the comfort that comes when I do not try so hard to be in control.

Along the same longs, I have had several reminders in the last few days of how God equips us to do His calling. The first reminder came in our homework, which lead me to read notes from a Beth Moore simulcast (she referenced 2 Timothy 3:17), and then today I received a devotional that said God equips those He calls. None of us can do it alone. But with Him equipping me, I can do exactly what He wants me to.

As a side note, I thought this was a wonderful definition of FAITH - A CONVICTION THAT HE CAN AND A HOPE THAT HE WILL.

Be blessed <><

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm still waiting for session 3 thoughts. ;)