Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bible Study: Week 1

We started a Bible Study at church last night and I can't say enough how excited I am about it. During the initial planning, several ladies had shared that there was previously a lack of participation. I do not think their goal was to discourage the idea, so much as it was to prepare me in a way that I wouldn't be disappointed.

All I have to say is...God showed us.

Wow! Originally, 18 books were purchased...then another 9 before Sunday giving us 27 total (for those who are not mathematically minded - a group I'm proudly in). When I walked into church Sunday night, I counted and we had 30 signed up. So the plan was for me to buy 7 more books Monday. Once at Lifeway, I felt compelled to buy 10 - for a total of 37 books (plus my leadership kit). I'm excited to say - we were short by 3. And that's with four ladies who had signed up missing. If all come to our next session, we will have 44 total participating.

Not that it is all about numbers - really my goal is to make a difference in the fellowship of the women of our church and community...but it's great to do that with such a good number of ladies. And the energy of our group is nothing short of spectacular. It was tangible the minute we were all gathered. A divine electricity. You could see all the stories and backgrounds represented, as well as all the hearts truly seeking God's will for their lives. Walking around the room - passing out items and doing some general milling around as dinner was devoured - I observed just how dynamic these women were. Awesome.

Our study is Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed - A Study of David written and presented by Priscilla Shirer, Beth Moore and Kay Arthur. Each other tackles a different stage of David's life and teaches it from the perspective they have based on where they are. The study is designed to be multigenerational - which I think is wonderful.

In watching the video last night, I was struck teary when Shirer made a point about how we do not need an appointment to interact with God. It is so powerful to know that regardless of circumstance or appearance, the Almighty chose me to be His child and bless me with His grace and mercy. He doesn't care that I'm almost 30 (something I"m having a hard time dealing with), may have had a bad haircut, or that pimple that always sprouts at the exact wrong time - He still loves me and wants me. I'm so unworthy and grateful.

My prayer is that through this study we all grow in our relationship with God and each other. I pray that every goal/expectation is exceeded and needs are met that were not previously realized. I'm excited to see how things blossom over the remaining sessions/weeks and can only hope to leave each time feeling as exhilarated as I did last night. I have yet to stop smiling.

<><

3 comments:

katy said...

Hi Summer! Welcome to Blogger!
This sounds like a wonderful study. I've done studies by each of these three gals -- but didn't realize they had done one together. I bet it's a doozie!

nuttandhoney said...

Priscilla Shirer rocks!!!! And so do you. I am so inspired that I wish it was everyweek.

Summer Says... said...

Katy - Thanks! I plan to post after each session (we are doing every other week). So far it's been really great - and I anticipate nothing less as we continue.

Katrina - Thank you - you are so sweet! I do too! It has been hard for me to not watch/read ahead. This study is an answered prayer for me. I'm glad we are in it together.