Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Best?

How do you define the best?

In most competitive sports, it would seem that the winner is always the best. Though, I think there is room for argument there. Sure the opposing team may have won, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the best talent used in the best plays, does it? Even the best have an off day, right?

This may come as a shock to you, but I’m not a competitive person. It’s probably why I am the queen of one year when it came to sports. I tried soccer for one year. I played basketball for one year. I took tennis for one year. I played softball one year. I was on swim team for one year. See the pattern? I always finished the year, but it wasn’t always fun. I really didn’t have the drive to care if we won or lost. The only thing I did longer than a year was dance. I danced for about 8 years. Go figure that my longest lasting activity was non-competitive.

I’ve never been the best. Maybe that’s due to my lack of competitiveness…but it’s true. I was certainly not the best of any of the above mentioned sports, nor was I close to the best dancer (Katy was and will always be the best dancer I’ve known). I participated in academic competitions – UIL and such, and placed in several events…but I don’t recall ever being first. I did well in school, but wasn’t valedictorian, nor did I graduate college with honors. I made perfect scores on test and papers, but even that didn’t designate me as the best.

I’m not the best daughter, sister or aunt (though I’m Alanna’s favorite…I taught her to say “please, you’re my favorite” when she wanted something and it’s stuck. I’m pretty sure if you asked her she would tell you she has 3 favorite aunts though). I work hard at my job (and succeed most of the time), but I bet I’m not the best HR Director in the world either. If you’ve read much of my blog, you know I’m not the best writer, nor am I the best at consistent blogging. I’m not the best of God’s children, nor do I always make the best decisions.

My intentions are mostly good – but we know about those and their connection to the road to hell. Some days feel like they are more about survival than succeeding. So I guess I wonder…though I may be the best at being me, am I the best I can be?

3 comments:

katy said...

You flatter me.

I think it's interesting that people who aren't very competitive with others (like you and I) are often very competitive with themselves!

At least you tried all of those sports. Someone would have had to club me over the head and drag my limp, unconcious body to the field to get me to participate in a group sport. Blech. Double blech blech!

Summer Says... said...

Katy,

I meant it. You are a beautiful dancer.

That's a very astute point, one I had not considered, and I think it is very true. I like the way you think :-)

I'm not really sure what posessed me to try those things other than probably some desire to please someone else at the time. I'm okay with not being great at any of them, though. My preference has never been to sweat much. Haha!

Alissa said...

Hey Summer....I can SO relate to you about this. I never felt like I was really good at anything through high school, except maybe school itself (although I was mostly just good at memorizing!). And college was pretty much the same way....there wasn't one thing that I particularly loved or devoted all of my time to. And after college, I've had three jobs....none of which I've really enjoyed or excelled at (and I'd be scared to death if I had to go back to any of them). And now that I have kids, sometimes I feel like the worst mom....I get so impatient with Grant and yell at him so much....and I can't get my kids on a schedule....and I can't keep the house clean AT ALL! So I've thought about that, and sometimes I can't list anything that I think I'm talented at. I know you are great at your job....it's useless to wonder if you're the best ever, right? That's something nobody can measure!