Thursday, October 15, 2009

If self-doubt were an Olympic sport, I would win gold every time...

Why is that? Why are we so good at doubting our worth, abilities and actions?

When I changed my major in college to Management w/HR Emphasis from Accounting, I thought I would never have to deal with the IRS. Truthfully, they scare me big time. Everytime you hear the initials, they are so omnious. But alas, because my employer has a 401k, we are accountable to the IRS for ERISA and EBSA regulations. This means we file forms each year. These forms are prepared by a third party administrator and audited by our independent CPA, so I don't do much with them. I'm pretty much responsible for pulling files and answering CPA questions and putting the whole package in the mail. Easy enough, right?

Yeah, so explain the 45 minutes of tears (not all out hyperventalating, snot running crying...just tears) and profuse sweating - no sugar coating that it was heavy glistening - it was a thank goodness I wore black and good antipersperant today sweat this afternoon - if it is so easy.

I received my package at 3:30 - and it has to go out today. Thankfully, I can use a private delivery service so I didn't have to struggle to get it to the post office which is across town by 5. It comes with instructions that more less read:

Step 1: Sign pages x and y. I prefer my CEO sign them and he's out, but I'm authorized, so that's not a problem.

Step 2: Attach form 1234 that we sent you in July.

HOLD UP! I don't have form 1234. I can't remember getting it in July. I don't remember having it signed, putting it in the envelope and mailing it. GBF (Great Balls of Fire - I'm totally stealing this from one of our managers, but I love it!)! Was our extension not filed? The fine is $1,100 per day...I'm surely going to be fired and go to jail!

Start the shaking hands now...followed by fervered search through every piece of paper in my office...head to file room where I've boxed old information and search it...call our rep and leave my best attempt at sounding calm voicemail...email our rep and document preparer...tell my boss - who just encourages me to breathe and trusts the entire time it is all okay and as it should be...call rep again...bypass voicemail and select prompt to connect to nationwide customer service. Thankfully, the hold time wasn't long. It took all I had to say my name, company information and situation while keeping my voice steady.

He looks...sees my extension request...looks some more...puts me on hold...comes back and apologizes for his computer system running slow - I told him it was fine. It was giving me more time to pray. He laughed a short laugh before realizing I was not kidding. We go back and forth a bit more - he finds the extension but may have to request a copy of form 1234 elsewhere which will take a minimum of one business day.

I quickly explain how that is not good enough as the package had to go out today and I just received it at 3:30 this afternoon. My notice was short enough to begin with without having problems. He tries contacting other people with no luck. He then asks if I received a confirmation letter from the IRS. I replied that it had been 3 months and I couldn't recite the mail I received yesterday (which is not entirely true).

He then asked if I was sure hte form wasn't included in my package. I said, it wasnt indicated that way by the instructions, and I had looked through for my places to sign, but I hadn't gone through page by page. He asked me to humor him (like that's what I felt like doing at that moment) and flip through the documents. And, you may have guessed it, the stupid form was the 3rd page from the last in the packet. I believe my exact words, "crap, it was here the whole time - I'm so sorry and really appreciate your help." He laughed - bless his good sported heart!

I called my boss and told her too. She laughed as well. And more or less that she knew it was taken care of because it would be so unlike me for it to fall through. And also that I was too anal retentive about the instructions that I didn't see past them. I told her I knew I didn't have the form and the adrenaline filled panic wouldn't let me see past jail time and unemployment.

And she's right. I make my share of mistakes - but things like this don't fall through the cracks with me. I'm almost OCD about rules, steps and processes (or maybe I am). Why is it easier for others to have more faith in us than it is for us to have faith in ourselves? I know my track record. When will I ever be good enough for me?

PS...I started this earlier and thought the title clever...now I see the contradiction and like it even better.

7 comments:

katy said...

Good golly gosh -- I just lost 12 years off my life, reading your post. No kidding, my heart was up in my throat. I totally understand this. I can't even document the number of times I've been frantically looking for something, even thinking I've never received it, and then it turns up in some overly logical spot.
My problem is usually that I panic, and then start rushing, and can't slow down to think it through.
Several times I've even trotted off to my boss to report that "so-and-so never sent me such-and-such and I've got to have it YESTERDAY," only to have her call and gripe at so-and-so, as I walk back in my office and see the such-and-such right where I had already been looking for it! Then I look like a world class a**h---! Good times. ;)

Kier's Serendipity said...

At least everything turned out okay in the end and that is all that matters. If it is any consolation, I do stuff like that to myself all the time. After all these years, I just chalk it up to that is how life works for me and I need to learn to just deal with it.

I hope you have a better Friday!

Alissa said...

Summer, I do things like this all the time too. I drive myself crazy because all of a sudden I think of something that I need (or will need) and I realize that I haven't seen it in a long time. So I'll make a mad dash around the house looking for it, wondering why in the world I didn't put it where it should have gone in the first place.

Or I'll put bills upstairs, then realize one day that one of them might have been due three days ago, and wonder if I've even paid it. I am so disorganized!!!

But I'm glad it all turned out okay....whew!!

Julie said...

Thanks for that 5 minute lack of oxygen. I was holding my breath as I read, worried for you! I've got @ $500 bucks to bail you out with, but I don't think that would quite cover it!

So glad you found what you needed and to know someone else reads the instructions too well! Love you bunches!

Sara said...

Holy cow, I thought I commented on this last week. Such is my life...

Our hearts need a good kick-start every now and then, don't they? Ha ha. And I will say that after nearly 10 years of running my own business I still curse the IRS every stinking time I have to waste my precious time filling out, filing and refiling stupid tax forms. What a waste of life and stress!!

I know from personal experience that even though it felt imminent, you wouldn't have felt the wrath of the IRS for a while. They usually take 3 or 4 years to tell me I've made a mistake, then expect a response in 48 hours. Gotta love 'em...

SO glad everything turned out OK and you had a cool rep to help you out.

lacy said...

aw yay thanks summer! We have Trader Joe's here so we get lots of 2 buck chuck for wine. Literally 2 bucks a bottle and not bad! It's best with sangria! Ohh I will have to blog my sangria recipe next since everyone thinks all we do is drink round here. LOL But the super great secret is that lots of wine bars will give you their corks for creating! ta da! Happy gluing! oh and I must go read your post now seems like a doozie from all these comments!

lacy said...

ohhh! What a roller coaster! Ohhh just think what all that crying did for your skin. Happy clear salted pores now. (looking for more of the bright side)