Thursday, October 8, 2009

Irregular

Is there anyone out there still interested in reading my words? I really want to write more, but most days, I'm sick of the computer by the time I get home. Or, I talk myself out of writing - because when the "new" of a thought or situation wheres off, I am not convinced it is all that interesting. Such a dilemma!

My friend, Alissa, recently posted about wrong prices at the grocery store and it reminded me of an experience with Old Navy last May. Yeah, I know it's been 5 months and I'm really over it (as evidenced by the money I've spent there since), but I just had to share.

I went to get bathing suits for my niece and nephews while they were on sale. They were coming to stay with us in June for a few days and I like to have surprises for them - it really helps the days go by positively. And it's totally my job as their aunt to spoil them. Anyway, the swimsuits were on sale the weekend following my granddad's passing. Which, in hindsight, was not a good time to be shopping. But I also deal with hard things by keeping my life as normal as possible, so it was truly some retail therapy.

After locating the perfect bathing suits, I decided to get flip-flops for my niece and older nephew (the youngest really can't walk in them quite yet) since they are two for $5. I get to the check out and the girl tells me that because they are for different genders, they will not ring up as two pair for $5 (they rang up as $3.50 per pair). I just smiled and told her that was a ridiculous enough policy, I was going to need to speak to her manager.

She called the manager over and explained the situation. The manager immediately agrees to override the price. I'm a totally happy customer...and things would have remained that way, except she then felt the need to comment further. She goes on to tell me that she really shouldn't override the price because it was a corporate policy. I told her the policy was ludicrous since there was not a single sign posted that stated that flip-flops had to be of the same gender to qualify for the 2 for $5 deal. The signs read Flip Flops for Family - 2 for $5. She proceeded to argue with me - mind you all this after she has already changed the price. It was so backwards and ridiculous. I finally told her that the corporate policy was false advertising and that could be reported to the SEC (not that I have time to go there - but it could be), and I appreciated that she had her customer's best interest at heart and did the right thing. That finally quieted her.

Why do those dealings have to be such a mess?

Next up...I plan to copy Lacy and Kristen and do my version of I always, I sometimes and I never...though because I apparently am non-committal, it will likely be I often, I sometimes and I hardly ever...hehe!

5 comments:

Sara said...

I'm here! I'm interested :) Don't put too much pressure on yourself to write something important; it's your life - which means it's all important :) OK, that sounds cheesy, but I totally meant it.

katy said...

I'm interested, too! You know, some days I just feel like I say a bunch of blah blah hooey on my blog. But it's still fun. You just write any old stuff you want, and we'll still show up!!

Alissa said...

Wow....that made me mad just reading it! Amazing!! I can maybe see if you're doing something like bringing back something you purchased 6 months ago, wanting store credit or something. But that is such a weird policy (that the pairs had to be the same gender to get the discount)....so it's amazing that she would go so far to argue her point. Sometimes I feel like there is no customer service anymore.

I was about to write a comment asking you if you were going to post that story....so I'm glad you did! And yes, I'm here to read...especially now that I have a blog list, so I know when people have posted....

Kier's Serendipity said...

I'm here...and new to the blog! Thanks for joining mine. It has only been recently that I have started looking for new blogs to follow. I'm so happy you found me!

Write, write, write, before you know it, it becomes a must do and it is just kind of fun and healthy to get the most random stuff out there.

Summer Says... said...

Thank all of you for the encouragement!