Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Heaven


Have any of you read this book? I finished about a week ago and it has left me thinking. I had several friends exclaim what a fantastic book it is. And I agree, the story is nothing short of amazing. I got especially motivated to read it during an "end of times" conversation at work. A co-worker stated, "You all need to read Heaven is For Real. It will make you feel better about Heaven."


Well, here's the deal. I did not feel bad about Heaven to begin with. I have questions, of course, but I have never doubted the existence of God, Jesus, Heaven and Hell. Those have been steady absolutes in the course of my faith. But after reading this book, I'm even less ready to get there than I was before.


As I stated, my motivation started with an end of times conversation. I firmly believe no one but God knows when that day will come. I also firmly believe that when it's your time to go, it's your time to go regardless of the activity you are currently engaged in. I do not use that as an excuse to participate in things I deem reckless or just plain scary. In short, I will not be sky-diving any time soon.


Prior to reading this book, I had not given much thought to how Heaven is organized. Of course I've pictured the mansion-lined streets of gold - all with gorgeously manicured lawns and pristine perfect flowers in front. But I had not given much thought to whether those mansions were family or individual dwellings.


In the book, Colton describes meeting his dad's grandfather - who had passed away long before he was born. Pop knew exactly who Colton was in his family and greeted him accordingly. So this makes me think that Heaven is organized by families - at least to some extent. And as I do not have one of my own, I am worried now about spending eternity alone. I know how irrational that sounds. I know that God does not want us to worry or be anxious. Believe me I know. I've had people my whole life reiterate those specific scriptures to me because I worry more than average. I simply do not know how to stop.


Ridiculous as it may be, this has really had me struggling for the past few days. I have watched friends have their prayers answered - and for that matter, prayers I prayed for friends get answered too. I'm so genuinely happy for them - one in particular makes me cry with joy every time I think of them. Yet, there is this very human piece of me wondering if the prayers I pray for myself will be answered. I used to fear being terminally single, but now, I fear spending eternity as a party of 1 too. Another worry is just what I needed.


Let me finish by saying that I do not intend for this to sound as pitiful or pathetic as it may be reading. I have typed this whole post without a single tear or even that tingly feeling in my nose. I also would not want this post to discourage you from reading the book. It is an incredible story and a very fast read. I also believe the things that make us think are also the very things that build faith. So I'm thinking...and trying not to let the thinking remain a worry.

4 comments:

katy said...

You know that I understand and fully empathize with your worries. I remember being a little girl and really stressing out over the possibility of NOT being with my parents in heaven. My mom always said when we got to heaven, our earthly family simply wouldn't be our concern anymore, but that scared me when I was young.

A few thoughts:

1) I haven't read this book, but I get the gist. A four-year old has a near-death experience and survives, with miraculous information about heaven. Right? I fully believe this little guy saw everything he says he saw. However, it still doesn't solidify any details for me about heaven. Because, simply put, I don't think we REALLY get to know until we're there. People who have near-death experiences describe some common details, but in a way I think the things God chooses to show a person at times like that are tailor-made for them. And while there is surely some truth in the little glimpses, there is no way any of us on earth could understand or begin to comprehend what heaven will really be like. I've always believed that. I mean seriously, I've always kind of thought that if a human being had full understanding of eternity, his brain would just explode! I don't know... maybe I should read the book.

2) Since when do you not have a family? (And I'm still not necessarily buying the idea that we live out eternity with our earthly families. Face it, for many that would actually be hell. But perhaps our family members are there with us in a recognizable way when we first arrive, just to ease the transition? Speculation, of course.) Anyway, this little boy saw his grandfather. Doesn't that count as family? Do you really think it's possible that someone who dies before they are married (or after a divorce) would be in heaven alone? And further, can the word "alone" even be used in a description of heaven? Isn't "alone" the very antithesis of a Christian's eternity?

Jennifer said...

Ditto to what Katy said.

Actually, Chad and I have recently had a similar conversation about heaven. I don't think our human minds can fully comprehend what it will be. Our scope is far too limited to even fathom that kind of paradise. And for that matter, I don't think the English language (or any other, for that matter) contains the words to adequately articulate it all.

If heaven is grouped by family, then you'll be there with me, and Katy, and so many other people that love you! At least, that's what I'm hoping for. Do you think we can request to all be on the same golden cul-de-sac? ;)

On a side note - we should jot these topics down in case we need something to discuss on May 7!

Summer Says... said...

Katy - Yes, you have the gist of it down. And I did not walk away thinking that his description was exactly what Heaven will be like. And maybe the people you see as you enter are to help with the transition. That's a good way to look at it.

As for not having family, I certainly acknowledge having a family - and a pretty great one at that. But you know something? I've never met anyone new and had them ask, "so, do you have parents?"

It's always about a spouse and kids. The words, "never married, no kids" have come out of my mouth quite frequently the past couple of weeks. Dates, co-workers, it was even the first question my new Dr. asked during my physical this morning. Which then made me wonder why my medical record would not indicate whether or not I had kids...but that's digressing. :-)

Jennifer - I agree that Heaven is a concept beyond any hope of comprehension. The book just made start trying to think about it in ways I never have before. I'm hopeful for a cul-de-sac...what fantastic block parties we can have!

TRS said...

I've read the book too... And I take it as we'll be greeted by people who are connected to us. Family or otherwise.

What if when you get to heaven, some of the first people to greet you are people you barely know, but to whom your life has made an impact?
Say you talked someone out of an abortion, and all the people impacted by that child's life are there?
I've recently thought... Real forgiveness is hoping that when I reach heaven, I'll see my long since deceased sister... And the man who murdered her would be just a few feet away... If he's repented .... Wouldn't that be amazing?

I like to think in heaven we'll all be connected to the network of people whose lives we've touched unknowingly. And all those connections will be clear.
Just as we'll know why certain relationships didn't lead to marriage... Why God had us be alone for so long, all of it.
Yeah, I'm counting on that!