Friday, June 24, 2011

Promises

I cannot believe it has been nearly two months since my last post. I know I am infrequent (especially compared to friends), but this is ridiculous. In my defense, I have been travelling for work and am pretty worn out by the time I have an internet connection either at home or a hotel.


All the time on the road has provided quite a bit of time (probably too much) for reflection and contemplation. Which brings us to this post. I've been pondering God, answered/unanswered prayer and His promises.


A day does not go by where I do not read or see evidence of God's answered prayers and fulfilled promises. For other people. I see pictures of thriving babies, read status updates on anticipated wedding days, milestone anniversaries and life working out in general. Meanwhile, I'm feeling like I can't catch a break. You all know I don't have the husband, kids and white picket fence I've dreamed and prayed for since I was old enough to want those things. In addition to that, I've been dealing with car troubles (where I have had my one reprieve - my newly balanced tires weren't properly balanced - so thankfully, a re-balance fixed my problems. I thought I was looking at a $1,500 car repair - a $30 redo by a different mechanic is much much better), more stress than is typical and an overall feeling of being broke and broken.


There is evidence throughout the Bible - Noah's Ark, Hannah and Samuel, the birth and crucifixion of Christ - where God delivers on His word. In my own personal circle, I have numerous friends giving Him glory for their fulfilled promises. And I celebrate with them. I'm genuinely happy for them. I've cried joyful tears over their stories. And I glean a little hope in their answered prayers.


All that to say, I fully believe God is of His word. My question is, How do you know what God has promised in your life?


I have another two days of driving to keep on thinking.

2 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

I love this post. So vulnerable (which I think I misspelled) and so questioning. I would love to know what you came up with in your alone time. I look forward to seeing what is next--good or bad, I'm here and so is my cell phone.

katy said...

Maybe there are people who have experienced knowing exactly what God promises or plans for them, at least in one area or another. I've never experienced God in that way, so I don't know how to answer your question. Even when we were trying for James, I never received a promise that things would go one way or another -- mostly I just received continual rebuke: Be still, and know that I am God (well, I guess that's a promise as well as a scolding. It just didn't feel like a specific answer to my despair at the time. I wasn't supposed to know what God was doing. I was just supposed to turn over the reins.)

I do know that God promises us peace. And I will keep praying for you to be filled with that.