Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Today is a Good Day (to misquote Ice Cube)

It's a gorgeous Tuesday weather wise and I have a fun story to share!

As my to do list grew longer this morning, I was starting to feel overwhelmed. It was the kind of one thing begetting another that almost shuts you down. So, I decided to take a break and run an errand at lunch.

I headed to my post office box to gather the goodies (no bills = mail goodies!) and noticed that a restaurant that's been under construction was open. As I turned into the PO parking lot, I realized they didn't have a drive through and I wasn't sure I wanted to fight the crowded lot.

Realizing I had plenty of time, and seeing a space open right up, I decided to go in. It was CRAZY busy! I waited in line and noticed that there wasn't an empty seat in the house. I thought that was odd since there had not been any big "now open" announcements or anything. I watched as people ordered ahead of me and started to pick up on the murmuring of all food being free for everyone. Being a natural born skeptic, I did not believe it.

I stepped up and ordered my kid's hamburger meal (I know they aren't healthy, but I figure if I get a kid's portion I've reduced my calories some...and then I don't eat the top bun and most days I only eat a couple of french fries, so that helps, right?). The girl gets my name and that's it. No charge for my lunch.

So I know it has been said there is no such thing as a free lunch - but today, friends, my lunch was totally free - gratis - zero dinero. And it all happened by chance.

Thank you Smashburger! The burger was great and the fries would have been perfection had I eaten them immediately.




3 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

Gotta love free!

katy said...

Free, free, freeeeee! There is nothing I like better than free. :)
You sound like me: when I order fast food, it's generally the kid burger... mostly because I'm cheap!

Alissa said...

Wow, what a fun surprise! And I, too, order the $1 hamburger when I'm out with the kids and don't have enough snacks to eat. I'm cheap too and it's usually plenty of food until I get home!