Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My 50th Post...

I should probably be doing something more fun for my 50th post (although 50 is not so impressive in the blogger groups I associate with - you girls post circles around me), but well, it's my blog, so my rules.

What are your thoughts on pet names? And I don't mean pets like the four legged, finned, or God-forbid slither variety. I mean pet names for other people.

When I was younger - especially in my previous job in the oil & gas industry - it was not uncommon for vendors to call me sweetie. Unless the tone was condescending, it didn't bother me too much from the men because most were old enough to be my dad. From some of the women, I was less than thrilled, but not offended. It happens a lot less now, but it rarely bothers me.

But as for my usage of them - eh, that's where I get weird (or perfectly normal - I'll judge by the feedback!).

When it comes to my niece and nephews, I'll throw out a "baby," "punkin'," or "sweetie" and not think twice about it. With some friends, I can easily use a sympathetic bless-your-heart style "oh, honey", or a version a little more feisty - as in, "honey, don't get me started" without a second thought.

So I ask you, ever faithful audience - am I a weirdo about this pet name stuff?

3 comments:

Sara said...

Nope - not a weirdo at all. I throw around pet names for my kids and friends all the time: hun, love, babe, baby, turkey all come to mind easily. The opposite sex, though (while I can't really speak from adult experience seeing as I've been married since I was 8) it seems smart to hold off on the pet names until you're sure things are reasonably serious. Unless they're Sawyer-esque or funny. I love me some Sawyer pet names. I just love me some Sawyer. Wait, did I just get off topic?

katy said...

Mmmmmm, Sawyer.
Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I think you have to already have a relationship established with the person, in which you've reached a pet name phase. Otherwise, it can just come out all wrong.

Danielle said...

I use pet names all the time, but only with those that I have a strong relationship with. If I don't know the person, I don't want to come across as condescending or just plain rude. I also think that if you use pet names in a relationship too soon, then you come across as being insincere. You just throw it out there, but it doesn't really mean anything since you don't really know the person.