Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Tap tap tap...

Is this thing still on?

It's been so long since I last posted, that any apology or excuse I make would be an insult to anyone reading this post, so I'll refrain and simply jump in...

Life has been happening.  Traveling, softball, t-ball and lots of swimming is where my time has been spent.

Sadly, death has happened too.  A co-worker lost her husband of 22 years in a tragic accident last weekend.  I am really proud of all the ways our corporate staff has pulled together in support of her.  Without blinking, everyone has picked up some area of her responsibilities to allow her the time she needs to figure out her and her son's new world.

With the nature of my job, as well as our relationship, I have visited often to deliver food, paperwork and the like to her.  I've seen very few people as heartbroken as she is.  My cousin who lost her husband to a heart attack at 42 and my uncle who lost my aunt last October are it.  From all appearances, they all had very similar love stories.  When I think of any of them, the other is immediately involved.  They were so connected that it was a struggle to see them as individuals.

Today, while visiting my co-worker, she said several had asked if she had any regrets.  Her answer, "only that he isn't here.  I never felt anything less than fully loved by him."  I told her I knew he had to feel the same - and that is beautiful.  That folks, is the real-life fairy tale.  Sure they had struggles, but through them all, they were loved by each other unconditionally.  And while their time together was cut short, they are so lucky to have had that kind of love. 

It's not available to everyone.

1 comment:

katy said...

I'm here, and glad you're back.

Oh, that's rough. I can't imagine the pain of losing my spouse, especially so young. She's lucky to have your friendship and support.

Wow, everywhere I look I see reminders that we're not guaranteed another day. So we have to do our best every day with what we're given. My head knows that, but it's so hard to follow through sometimes.