Friday, January 7, 2011

Good News

A little more than two years ago, my dad was involved in a fatality shooting. I initially blogged about it here.

As it was an officer-involved shooting (especially since it resulted in a death), the Texas Rangers (in their pre-Walker/Chuck Norris days - another day another post there though!) were commissioned to investigate. Evidence including guns, bullets, etc. were sent to the local crime lab. They were then transferred to DPS lab for evaluation. Almost 26 months ago.

Time passed without an update. My dad worked using his "back-up" gun as the pistol involved was in possesion of the lab. I thought about it less each day, but a piece of me stayed worried about what would happen next. In any crime/shooting/incident with evidence, the evidence and reports are presented to a grand jury to either true-bill (indict - carry forward into trial) or no-bill (dismiss completely). Additionally, the family of the victim has two years to file a civil suit for wrongful death.

The one year mark came and went without any new information. The two year mark came and went without any new informaiton - but with some relief knowing that there could/would not be a civil suit.

Once the two year mark came, our local newspaper (which is a small weekly paper) contacted my dad for an update on the case. When he reported that he had no new information, no report and no gun, the editor was irked. He called the DA's office, the Rangers, the crime labs and their Director. Each week he would report his findings. Amazingly, the completed ballistics/lab report was in the DA's hands within 3 weeks of the editor's first call.

The information was presented to the grand jury yesterday and they returned a no-bill. My dad gets his gun back on Monday.

It's finally over.

Praise God for good news!

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Hooray! That is good news!
Knowing me, I would have worried until the final word came down. Everyone can breathe a little easier now.

katy said...

Wow. Funny -- at the end of your post I had a little voluntary exhale. Guess I was holding my breath while reading... and you all must have been holding your breaths these many years. Now you can exhale and move on.

Give your dad a hug from me and tell him I said thanks for his service.

Kier's Serendipity said...

Wow, that is som kind of craziness. I am so happy that everything is good to go!

Alissa said...

Crazy.....I missed this when you originally posted about it. What a relief that it's finally over! And way to go, Mr. Stewart (or Constable Stewart?)! Not bad for a retired guy! :)