Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bloom Where You are Planted?


I’ve heard this saying a million times in my life – mostly from people on the outskirts of my world and not in reference to me. I’m not sure where it originated or why necessarily. I’m sure you’ve heard it before too.

Having a teeny bit of gardening knowledge, the saying itself sort of cracks me up. Not every seed is going to bloom where it’s plopped in earth. If you planted a cactus in Seattle, it would not flourish any more than a water lily in the deserts of Arizona.

I do not have the greenest of thumbs, but it’s not totally killer black either. I do well with most house plants – ivies, ferns and even a ficus has thrived in my care. I managed to not kill an African Violet for two years.

Every year, I plant an Amaryllis before Christmas knowing in 6-8 weeks I’ll be rewarded with a statuesque base for a gorgeous bursting bloom (in red – I usually get red). This year was no exception. I enjoy the process of rehydrating the dirt that comes in the kit, nestling the bulb just so and watering it as needed. With these fast growing plants, each watering brings a reward of progress. The leaves grow – you can see the base of the bloom – all things that let you know you are taking good care of this flower.

Normally that is. This year, my Amaryllis seems to be defective. I have three tall, healthy leaves – one at about 2 feet in length. But I have no sign of a bloom.


As someone who tends to look for signs, specifically those related to reasons to hope, this does not forecast well. I keep watering, feeding and whispering sweet nothings hoping for a turn around. I hope this is not a metaphor. All leaves and no flower.

3 comments:

katy said...

Dear Summer:
As your friend, I am asking you to please, please, please not read into your amaryllis (which isn't defective after all, but just has a different idea of what beautiful is, and is wholly entitled to grow the way she sees fit.)

If each of us bloomed just the way the directions said we should, what a boring world this would be. Expectations of uniformity are too heavy a weight to bear. I would long ago have been chopped down and tossed on the rubbish pile.

Hope is ever present when you can believe the words of Jeremiah 29:11. God's continued gifts lay in store for you. You are loved, Summer -- the list is long! And you are beautiful just the way you've bloomed.

Kier's Serendipity said...

What Katy said. And you if you want to see a black thumb, you just drive on up to Frisco. I can't keep anything alive. Your beautiful amaryllis would not have made it a week in my care.

Danielle said...

I agree with Katy too.

My initial thought, however, was to think that the amaryllis is to independent to do what is expected. Nope - it's going to blaze it's own path in the dirt.

Love you!