Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Prefer O's...


Dear Kashi,

I am a 31 year (10 months and 8 days, but who's counting?) old, single, female. As a result of that single status, I'm working on making health improvements that will also (hopefully) make me more attractive to a potential mate.

With 2011 resolutions in hand, I purchsed several of your products in the last 12ish days. One of these products include the Honey Toasted oat cereal in the convenient "to go" cups. I opened the container this morning expecting a healthier, grown-up version of honey-nut cheerios. Imagine my bewilderment to see heart shaped oat puffs mixed in. Perhaps I should have expected such with the "heart to heart" on the box. And while I'm sure your crafty food stylists/marketers did this to reiterate the "heart-healthiness" of your cereal, I am not a fan.

For one, there are more than enough heart shaped marketing ploys in the world. Watch any jewelry commercial from mid-November through December and from late January to February and one is OVERloaded with hearts. Add to that the "last-minute" aisle at your local drug store and any Hallmark location and it's impossible to avoid them. The last place I need a heart is in my cereal. Second, I'm choosing to eat a grown-up cereal - the addition of the heart-shaped puffed oat does not make it more fun. Sugar would (seriously, a little extra sweetness would be appreciated), but I know the ramifications go against my purpose. I appreciate your efforts, but I would prefer plain O's, please.

Now, before you write me off as another bitter single woman, let me add a final note. While I've never walked the aisle, I have married friends and have watched enough Sex and the City/Divorce Court/other trash tv I shouldn't own up to having viewed, to step out on a limb and say that married women would likely prefer just the O's too.

Sincerely,
Me

3 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

You crack me up. I love you!

katy said...

Right on!

Sara said...

Ha ha! LOVE it! I most certainly second that.